[OmniOS-discuss] combo storage/virtualization server

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Aug 8 19:14:15 EDT 2012

On 8/8/2012 2:49 PM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> To be clear, you do not need a support contract to run OmniOS on your
> servers.

I know; I was just trying (and clearly failing ;) ) to be funny :).

> Commercial support is those that run the product in an environment
> where one cannot be subject to the whimsical schedules/availability of
> the community and need things fixed regardless of the difficulty or
> complexity of the problem.

Heh, 9 times out of 10 I get better support for my Solaris 10 deployment
at $WORK from the community than from my official Oracle support
contract 8-/. Management does like somebody to point their fingers at
though, so the availability of commercial support for an illumos
distribution might make it easier to someday ditch Oracle at the day job :).

> For what you describe, OmniOS will likely meet your needs just fine.

Cool, thanks for the reply.