[OmniOS-discuss] Another OmniOS Software Repository.

Denis Cheong denis at denisandyuki.net
Sun Aug 12 20:01:31 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Benjamin Grogg <info at thetube.ch> wrote:

> > Also, if you really want to take the packaging to the next level, these
> are
> > all the steps required to install it as a service:
> >
> http://www.dev-eth0.de/installing-a-bittorrent-client-with-webgui-on-opensolaris/
>

> I'm not sure how the Transmission-Daemon works exactly. Better I run it
> in userland (as logged in User), that means every download is user based.
> With a system daemon. I'm not sure if its possible to protect each download
> from every user?

Yes, the instructions run through creating a user and running the daemon as
that user.

It's not as big an issue under OmniOS because it retains the ability to use
the legacy Solaris 11 Express rc.d style init files to run daemons (stick
it in rc.local), however with Solaris 11 there is no practical way to start
up transmission-daemon without using SMF, which is what those instructions
show you how to do.

> > I spent hours trying to get transmission compiled on OmniOS ... is there
> an
> > easy trick to getting a working GNU compilation environment up and
> running?
>
> OmniOS provide everything except libevent. There was just an issue with a
> building macro that detect libcurl not/worg
> The rest was just straight forward, thanks to the OmniOS developers!

Must still be something I'm missing ... it never worked for me, there was
always weird unresolvable error during building apps even after installing
all the development tools.