[OmniOS-discuss] samba in a non-global zone ?

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Sat Dec 1 19:20:26 EST 2012

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 14:12:19 +0000
Stephen Nelson-Smith <stephen at atalanta-systems.com> wrote:

> If you truss that, I bet you'll see it reading an smbpasswd file.  I
> also bet it has no password entry.

You were right but it's still not working.  I followed http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/820-2429/configureworkgroupmodetask/index.html and it all went straightforwardly:

	root at world:/home/common# vi /etc/pam.conf
	root at world:/home/common# passwd sheila
	New Password:
	Re-enter new Password:
	passwd: password successfully changed for sheila
	passwd: SMB password successfully changed for sheila
	root at world:/home/common# smbadm join -w workgroup
	After joining workgroup the smb service will be restarted automatically.
	Would you like to continue? [no]: yes
	Successfully joined workgroup
	root at world:/home/common# ls -tlr /var/smb
	total 26
	drwxr-xr-x 3 root sys     3 Oct  5 01:20 cvol
	-r-------- 1 root sys     0 Oct  5 01:21 osmbpasswd
	-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 10240 Dec  1 16:06 smbgroup.db
	-r-------- 1 root sys    45 Dec  2 07:17 smbpasswd

but the client still won't connect.  Using the command line version:

	C:\wherever> net use Q: \\world\home\sheila /user:sheila ******** /persistent:yes
	System error 5 has occurred.

	Access is denied.

	C:\wherever>

and the same for "\\world\home" and "/user:world\sheila" combinations.

On the server:

	root at world:/home/common# smbutil view //sheila at cortex
	Password:
	Share        Type       Comment
	c$           disk       Default Share
	home         disk
	IPC$         IPC        Remote IPC
	vss$         disk       VSS

	4 shares listed from 4 available

Although the hostname is world, the interface is cortex,192.168.1.1 --- is that relevant ?