[OmniOS-discuss] newbie virtualisation question

Alex Wilson alex at cooperi.net
Sun Dec 9 05:58:04 EST 2012

On 09/12/12 06:53, Michael Mounteney wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2012 23:04:50 -0800
> "Paul B. Henson" <henson at acm.org> wrote:
>
>>  From http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/VirtualMachinesKVM
>>
>> # add_drv kvm
> Thanks Paul.  Now:
>
> 	root at world:~# add_drv kvm
> 	devfsadm: driver failed to attach: kvm
> 	Warning: Driver (kvm) successfully added to system but failed to attach
>
> That warning is a 'bad thing' and AFAICT from searching, means that there's something wrong with the hardware, or similar.  Any ideas ?

The E5405 is a Harpertown Xeon (based on Penryn), which only has VT-x
and not the necessary EPT capabilities to be able to use illumos KVM.
The Intel ARK website is a liar, and claims that all VT-x CPUs have EPT
-- only Nehalem-based Xeons have this capability. There has been some
work to enable illumos to use KVM with pre-EPT Intel chips, but it
currently crashes at startup of a VM and is as yet unuseable. So I'm
afraid you're stuck without KVM on your current hardware, at least for now.

Regards,
Alex.