[OmniOS-discuss] pkgchk and other package information

sergey ivanov sergey57 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:42:41 EST 2012

Hi Steve,
First, I think there is not such utility as "top" in OmniOS. I remember
discussion about amount of resources "top" is using, with recommendation to
avoid it, at least in production, when resources can be already scarce. Use
instead "prstat": installed by default, aware of zones and
lightweight-processes, and much more efficient!
About searching files and packages, see "man pkg". For example, to find
which package owns prstat utility, "pkg search prstat". Or, for example,
"pkg search -r :file:basename:prstat", for looking in remote repositories
for packages with "prstat" as the basename of the file to be installed.
--
  Regards,
  Sergey Ivanov.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM, <steve at linuxsuite.org> wrote:

> Howdy!
>
>       How do I find out what pkg a file is from. A quick google
> suggests
>

> http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Unix/Solaris/SOLARIS_TipsDetermineWhichPackageaParticularFileBelongsTo.shtml
>
>    however
>
>     pkgchk -l -p /bin/ksh
>
>  produces nothing. Is this because  /var/sadm/install/contents is empty?
> Same thing on OI.
>
>    How do I find out which package a file comes from? Or more
> specifially I cant find "top" on OmniOS , is it in a package?
>
>      thanx - steve

Regards,
Sergey Ivanov | 443-844-6318 | sergey57 at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sergey-ivanov/8/270/a09