[OmniOS-discuss] zones on external storage

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Sat Dec 15 06:26:15 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Johan Kragsterman
<johan.kragsterman at capvert.se> wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I've started to experiment with zones on external Fc storage. This because
> I work very much with Fc, and I'd like a way to smoothly move a zone to
> another host. Things seem to be that you need to put each zone on their own
> zpool, is it so? What I've done so far is to provision a LUN to the host,
> create a zool(zonepool1) of it, and then set zonepath=zonepool1/z1(name of
> the zone).
>  Then it seems to be the way to detach the zpool(zonepool1) from the
> original host, and then reattach it to the new pool, is that right?
>
>  Anything else that I should think of here...?

You'll also need to remember that there's no live migration or
suspension of zone processes.
For those that need more resiliency, it's better to focus on
application level loadbalancing and failover than depend on the
underlying infrastructure for help. This is the approach that Joyent
adopt, and also one which lends itself to horizontal scaling (where
you add more zones over a number of boxes).

Belenix: www.belenix.org