[OmniOS-discuss] illumos-joyent as a base for OmniOS

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Mon Dec 17 09:26:18 EST 2012

I would say that Joyent is making some interesting progress in the realm of
Illumos. I'll note that (as Jared said) Joyent's product vision highly
differs from ours.  Joyent adds things into Illumos to service needs and
use-cases that our customers should never really have... if they had those
needs, they should likely be running SmartOS.

That said, I follow the illumos-joyent tree very closely and try to
integrate things that would be particularly applicable to generic
enterprise workloads.  We do have joyent-specific deviations from
illumos-gate within OmniOS.  I foresee us having stuff from Delphix pulled
in as well.  If there is a specific Joyent feature you think we'd benefit
from, please bring it up on this list and we'll look at what it would mean
to integrate it.

There are often changes in Joyent's tree that I believe will be pulled into
illumos-gate eventually and I'm happy to fast-track those into our tree as
(based on history) the final integration will be trivial to replace into
our tree.

- Theo

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Jared Morrow <jared at basho.com> wrote:

> It is my impression that OmniOS is meant to be a rock-solid server OS, so
> getting the latest and greatest "fun" stuff is probably less important than
> getting things that are stable.  Joyent has the benefit of knowing where
> and how they are going to deploy SmartOS, so some features they add are
> meant more for that environment, rather than everyone else.  I personally
> use SmartOS and OmniOS in a professional sense and although SmartOS has
> some really amazing features which make it an amazing hypervisor, it also
> seems to ship more bugs each release than I would hope for from a server
> OS.  I've been bit many times with features that clearly don't work and
> appear to not even be tested in the slightest.  Again, I use SmartOS and
> like it, and I can't speak for OmniTI, but from my point of view, I'm glad
> OmniOS is based on illumos-gate and not illumos-joyent.
>
> -Jared
>

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Andrzej Szeszo <aszeszo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Was illumos-joyent ever considered as a base for OmniOS? All the fun
>> stuff seems to appear there first.
>>
>> I think with some minor tweaks it could be used as a replacement for the
>> upstream illumos-gate based tree.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Andrzej

Theo Schlossnagle