[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOs install fails on dell R820

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Dec 31 10:58:42 EST 2012

Ram,
You may not need to rebuild the ISO just yet, although maybe you have since
your last message... Sometimes a driver may work fine for a given device if
it's similar enough to others that are already supported, and all that's
required is to get the driver to bind to the new device.  The
update_drv(1M) command is what we use to modify driver configuration.
 There are lots of examples on the web, but it would probably go something
like:

update_drv -a -i 'pciNNNN,NNNN' mr_sas
update_drv -f mr_sas

Where NNNN,NNNN is the pci vendor ID and device ID.  You can get those by
picking through the output of 'prtconf -pv' and looking for a string like
'Serial Attached'.  I took a quick look at our pci.ids file for the 710
specifically:

# gzgrep H710 /usr/share/pci.ids.gz
                1028 1f30  PERC H710 Embedded
                1028 1f31  PERC H710P Adapter
                1028 1f33  PERC H710P Mini (for blades)
                1028 1f34  PERC H710P Mini (for monolithics)
                1028 1f35  PERC H710 Adapter
                1028 1f37  PERC H710 Mini (for blades)
                1028 1f38  PERC H710 Mini (for monolithics)

That might give you a leg up.  I've also made a note to add the lspci
utility to the ISO and Kayak miniroots, since that's useful in cases like
yours.

Eric