[OmniOS-discuss] puzzlingly slow disk access

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Dec 31 12:14:28 EST 2012

Michael,
The SATA ports on this system appear to be operating in
legacy/compatible/IDE mode (note the lack of a "t" section in, e.g.
c3d0s0).  Disk performance in this mode is pretty poor.  It would be
preferable to have the SATA ports in native/AHCI mode, but in the case of
the rpool that will change the device names and leave you with an
unbootable system.  You can 1) backup and restore your system after
switching the SATA mode to native/AHCI, 2) just do a fresh reinstall after
switching modes or 3) attempt to fix up the various places where the device
paths are embedded (these paths are what change when the mode changes).
 For #3, see
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2011-July/049175.html for
hints.

Eric