[OmniOS-discuss] stable vs "bloody"

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Oct 8 19:00:11 EDT 2012

I was curious, for those of you looking to run OmniOS in production, are
you planning to use the "stable" release or the "bloody" release?

Terminology wise, "stable" sounds better than "bloody" ;), but if you
turn that around and call them "stale" and "fresh" it gives a different
connotation :). It looks like stable includes upstream illumos-gate from
about 5 months ago, whereas bloody is at the moment fully up-to-date
with the current upstream. Generally, illumos-gate is intended to be
production quality at all times, so arguably you're more stable tracking
it more closely. There's only been a couple of times in the past year or
so a commit broke anything of note, and I think both of those times it
was caught pretty quick and backed out or resolved.