[OmniOS-discuss] Difference Between Stable and Bloody

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Oct 16 08:47:47 EDT 2012

I don't think there is a reference between OmniOS and OI.

OmniOS stable is designed to be run in production with minimal
disruption.  This means we release updates in a way to minimize
service disruption (reboot).  Kernel updates are only made if they are
security or stability related and no work-around exists.  User-space
applications can be treated more aggressively, but we're still
conservative.  OmniOS updates are made available weekly and a full
release is done every six months.

OmniOS bloody incorporates user-land updates and kernel updates in an
aggressive fashion and updates are made available as they are
introduced via IPS.  The only time we see an ISO install media rolled
with bloody is if there is a specific install issue address by a
change in bloody.

We should document this on a wiki page. :-)

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Sam M <emunch at utmi.in> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Just joined the mailing list.
>
> What's the difference between the two releases - stable and bloody?
> Specifically with reference to the Openindiana release?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle