[OmniOS-discuss] kvm / zones

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Oct 31 19:53:28 EDT 2012

On 10/31/2012 4:44 PM, Bryan Horstmann-Allen wrote:
>> Under SmartOS, every kvm instance is created in a dedicated zone. With
>> OI/OmniOS, is that also considered a best practice, or are people for the
>> most part just running qemu in the global zone?
>
> I've been working on this in my spare time. It's mostly slog work, but a bit of
> refactoring is going into how Joyent's kvm brand works. There's a bit of
> SDC/SmartOS specific stuff in there.
>
> I'll see if I can't make further progresss this weekend and get it up on
> GitHub.

Cool :), although I must confess I'm not completely clear on what you're
working on. Implementing the joyent zone brand under omnios? Or
something else related to running kvm in zones?

> Porting vmadm/imgadm is likely a much bigger project, but I do think it would
> be pretty darn handy (if only to use to automate against with Chef/etc.)

I'm not horribly familiar with either vmadm or libvirt, and perhaps this
would be a better question for the SmartOS mailing list, but given they
are both intended to ease/automate management of virtual machines, I
wonder how they compare feature-wise... I assume libvirt doesn't know
much about zones/vnics etc out-of-the-box.