[OmniOS-discuss] [zfs] Re: Irregularly scheduled SSD survey :)

Keith Wesolowski keith.wesolowski at joyent.com
Tue Apr 9 18:14:09 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 02:54:21PM -0700, Paul B. Henson wrote:

> I promised somebody I would post a summary of my survey, and while I
> didn't get as wide a set of results as I'd hoped for, here it is.
>
> For ZIL, there don't seem to be very many SSD's that have power failure
> protection, the only ones I could really confirm as having it were

This is not really true.  They may not be in your price range but there
are plenty of them.

> Intel. Supposedly OCZ has some enterprise drives with power failure
> protection, but I could not determine which ones.

The Talos 2R does.  They have C and R series; the R apparently really
does stand for Reliability.  They claim the C is for commercial but you
can easily think of it as meaning cheap.  There may or may not be other
OCZ lines that have an "R" variant, which will also have this feature.

> Then there's the STEC ZeusRAM, in SATA form factor but not really an
> SSD, for $2300/8G.

There's no such thing as a SATA ZeusRAM; it's SAS.  SATA ZeusRAM would
be the proverbial Ferrari with training wheels.