[OmniOS-discuss] Panic when shutting down vmware guest with tools installed

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Tue Apr 23 16:33:41 EDT 2013

Trivial repro.  On ESXi 5.1 with latest patches.  Download OVA for omnios
bloody "first boot".  Boot it and do 'install vmware tools' from vsphere
client.  Mount CD image and cp gzipped tarball to /.  Gunzip and extract.
Run the install script.  Then do the vmware-config-tools.pl (or whatever
it's called).  In the test I just did (with no updates or anything else),
I never even got to try to reboot.  The very last line before the panic
was a message about unloading the vmware memory driver, then BOOM!  Note:
omnios seems to ship with no 'ldd' command so you can't install the tools
without configuring the network so you can do 'pkg install SUNWtoo'.