[OmniOS-discuss] SSD alignment, EFI label rpool support

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Aug 1 03:22:02 UTC 2013

While putting together a linux system, I found the current advice in
that ecosystem seems to be to align your SSD partitions not just to the
page size, but to the erase block size. Any thoughts on that
recommendation for an rpool, l2arc, or zil partition?

I'm using a couple Crucial 256G m4 SSD's for my rpool, which I believe
have an 8k page size and 512k erase block size. Given the rpool
requirement for an SMI label, I would end up having to start the slice
on cylinder 15 (which, when added to the one cylinder used by the fdisk
label, results in cylinder 16) in order to get the alignment right,
which wastes something like 150Mb :(. Not ridiculous on a 256G device,
but annoying. Has any progress been made on booting from EFI labeled
disks? I vaguely recall somebody was working on grub2 but I'm not sure
where it ended up. That would allow alignment without as much waste.

Or if erase block alignment doesn't matter that much for ZFS I could
just align to the page size…

Thanks…