[OmniOS-discuss] [zfs] SSD alignment, EFI label rpool support

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Aug 1 19:39:10 UTC 2013

On 8/1/2013 5:42 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:

> What matters is that this container (slice/partition) usually does
> not start at HDD sector 0

Yes, you understood my question exactly, thanks for expanding upon it.

> fresh twist regarding page size vs. erase-block size (and not yet
> asked - a recommendation about recommended ZFS minblocksize for
> such devices).

Oh no, I'm almost done tuning my install, not more possible options to
have to explore ;).

> such precision via fdisk/format, one can use the command-line
> "parted" to manage disk partitions, including MBR-style ones.

Hmm, if I understand you correctly, you are recommending using a
non-illumos tool to create a Solaris MBR partition aligned on an
arbitrary sector rather than a cylinder, which would then allow the
beginning of slice zero in that partition to be in the right place? I
didn't think of that, that seems much simpler than trying to calculate a
cylinder offset of the slice relative to the beginning of the partition
that lines up.

Thanks much…