[OmniOS-discuss] [zfs] SSD alignment, EFI label rpool support

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Aug 2 02:30:20 UTC 2013

On 8/1/2013 1:27 PM, Matthew Ahrens wrote:
> It's hard for me to see how aligning the partition on a greater
> granularity than the physical sector size (aka "ashift", typically 4k
> for modern large devices) would help anything.  Regardless of partition
> alignment, ZFS is going to write to whatever sectors it wants.

Well, as I originally indicated, this suggestion came from the linux
world, and was more perhaps intended for ext3/4 use cases, they discuss
setting the stride and stripe-width options for ext filesystems to
optimize for the page/erase block size. I wasn't really sure if that was
relevant for ZFS, which is why I asked :).

Thanks…