[OmniOS-discuss] Overheating faults with ST4000NM0023

Thibault VINCENT thibault.vincent at smartjog.com
Mon Aug 5 12:57:58 UTC 2013

Hello,

In a server with lots of disks, I kept getting FMA faults about
excessive temperature (DISK-8000-12) of almost every drive and it
triggered retirements each time. First I tried cooling down the JBOD but
some drives were still beeing retired, and I ended up disabling the
io-retire.so plugin of fmd (crappy workaround).

Later I found that our Seagate ST4000NM0023 drives had a suprisingly low
"trip temperature" and now I'm pretty sure that's the value interpreted
by fmd. The trip is at 40°C and is indeed exceeded sometimes.

So I have two questions :

  * how would you disable disk retirement in FMA without crippling
modules ? or maybe enforce the temperature threshold ?

  * is anyone working with ST4000NM0023 or have a clue about fixing the
trip temperature in smart ?

Thanks a lot,

--
Thibault VINCENT - Infrastructure Engineer
SmartJog | T: +33 1 5868 6238