[OmniOS-discuss] performance penalty of a slow mirror

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 07:01:15 UTC 2013

Hello, as my current OmniOS server doesn't have removable disks, I've
added an external USB2 HDD as a mirror, so that in the event of fire or
holiday, the external disk can be taken away as a backup.

How does OmniOS deal with a very slow mirror ?  Does it perform any
measurements to work out that it should always write to the other
mirror first, or does it do a 'fair sharing' or writes ?

This is a SuperMicro 5017C-LF
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5017/sys-5017c-lf.cfm )
with 2 x 500 GiB 2.5" drives mirrored internally, plus the external
mirror.  The machine has only USB-2 sockets, not USB-3.

Michael.