[OmniOS-discuss] multithreaded gzip (or equivalent) and moving some files while preserving file trees

Valrhona valrhona at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:44:45 UTC 2013

Thanks to OmniTI for making a fantastic product for the community!

I am doing a bunch of backups, and trying to organize data, and have two
questions:

1. Is there a better alternative, perhaps in the new package repositories,
for gzip-style compression that is multithreaded? I am doing the usualy zfs
send to a file, which I then backup to tape. Using gzip makes the process
like 100x slower than if I just dump the zfs stream to an uncompressed
file, and so it's not practical from a time standpoint.

2. This is a more general UNIX question: I have a lot of directories with
mixed files, but I want to extract all of the files with a certain
extension, say .xyz, and move only those files to a different zfs
filesystem. In the destination, I want to recreate the directory structure
of the original tree, but only have the .xyz files in them (these are
large, uncompressed raw data). So the source and destination should have
the same directory structure; the source would have none of the .xyz files,
and the destination would have all of the .xyz files.

Is there a simple way to do this with mv, or is another command
recommended? I am sure this is obvious to many of the unix gurus around, so
any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Peter