[OmniOS-discuss] multithreaded gzip (or equivalent) and moving some files while preserving file trees

Valrhona valrhona at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 03:53:11 UTC 2013

Thanks for the tip. If I understand correctly, lzop is basically a
drop-in replacement for gzip that is much faster, but single-threaded.
Is there a comparison anywhere between (single-threaded) lzop and
(multithreaded) pigz or pbzip2? I have a hex-core xeon and 72 GB of
RAM so I expect the compression to be IO-bound rather than CPU-bound,
but that is just a guess. And for ZFS streams, is there a reason to
prefer any one of these programs over another? Thanks!