[OmniOS-discuss] Mellanox Infiniband 2x 10Gbps MHEL-CF128-TC

Thibault VINCENT thibault.vincent at smartjog.com
Sun Aug 18 01:40:47 UTC 2013

> Also, if I just have a few workstations I need to connect to an NFS
> server over 10 GbE, I was thinking of just getting a couple of
> adapters and crossover cables, instead of going with a switch, just
> for cost reasons. Does this make sense, and is there any downside?
> Switches right now seem to be pretty expensive, and for just a couple
> of workstations/servers, it seems like crossover cables might do just
> as well. Thoughts?

A quick comparison on Intel cards and cheap switchs shows the 10Gbe RJ45
port costs double on the adapter. Choose wisely, I'll go with the switch
over four workstations. And having lots of NICs in the same server may
not scale well : too many interrupts, under usage of ring buffers and
queues, lots of kernel tasks.

--
Thibault VINCENT - Infrastructure Engineer
SmartJog | T: +33 1 5868 6238