[OmniOS-discuss] Installing OmniOS

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Tue Aug 20 18:09:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, August 20, 2013 8:39 am, Heinz Nikolaus Gies wrote:
> Since it will propably be very hard to make a good graphical installer and
> get rid of all the bugs (even so the crashes might be worth fixing) it
> would be very cool if there was a way to drop in the console, set up the
> disks/pools/etc and just tell the system: please skip the graphical thing,
> i created the rpool for you, now install the system in it and put grub
> onto disk <whatever>

There's already an option to drop into a shell when you boot from install
media.  At which point you can create disk partitions or anything else you
need.  Then quit the shell, run the installer and install into that disk.

I think when I did this last time I just partitioned the disk in the shell
(i.e. no creating rpool), then the menu-based installer created rpool as
part of the install.  But you should be able to do what you want already.

Hugh.