[OmniOS-discuss] Advanced format disks – 512E

Matthew Frazer mattfrazer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 01:40:31 UTC 2013

This is a question I've been meaning to ask as well.

Using the information at
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/ZFS+and+Advanced+Format+disks I've
edited the sd.conf on my systems to include the drives I wish to have 4k
sector sizes on. On Solaris 11.1 this achieves the proper ashift on 4k
drives whether they report 4k or 512e to the system. The same sd.conf does
not, at least in my experience, result in an ashift of 12 on OmniOS. My
workaround has been to create my pools in 11.1 with version flags set
compatible to what omnios supports, then import them into OmniOS and then
zfs upgrade them. I'd love to find out I've been doing it wrong as it would
simplify pool creation greatly for me.

-mjf