[OmniOS-discuss] running X application over ssh can't find libraries

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Aug 28 08:43:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-28 08:30, Paul B. Henson wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2013, at 10:44 PM, Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> wrote:
>
>> /usr/bin/VirtualBox
>> VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/amd64/VirtualBox.so",) failed: ld.so.1: VirtualBox: fatal: libXinerama.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory
> [...]
>> The files are there:
> [...]
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       14848 Oct  6  2012 libXinerama.so.1.0.0
>
> I'm guessing this is a 32 bit library and hence unusable by the 64 bit virtualbox binary?
>
> What does "file libXinerama.so.1.0.0" have to say?

That would find the file, but complain about ELFCLASS32 at a later step
(i.e. binary not applicable to dynamically link with current code).
If a "amd64/libXinerama.so..." (or some other directory euphemism like
"64/libX...") exists under the same libdir, it should be picked up
automatically.

If the library is not available, I wonder if the 32-bit GUI works and
if it would be able to launch 64-bit processes (helpers and headless
VMs) that don't need GUI? For console access you could then use RDP
or VNC (if available in your VirtualBox build). Actually, since the
disconnection of ssh (X-server) would be fatal to its GUI client (VM),
I'd be in favour of either using headless VMs (see my vboxsvc project
on sourceforge, to run VMs as SMF instances and more) or making some
VNC desktop on the VM host and using it to manage the VMs. It does not
have to be a heavy GNOME environment, I use a bare-bone twm just fine.
Anything that can render X11 and has a window-manager to move and
overlap the windows ;)

This seems more like a problem of needing a fixed LD_LIBRARY_PATH (I see
that you seem to have a correct one, though) in the invokation, passed
from ssh by command-line, or the remote host's sshd config, or via the
user's .profile, or by some system-wide setting (/etc/default/login ?
or crle etc.) Though the latter approach has recently become a matter
of near-religious flame wars, especially to be portable between distros
and packages with non-standard paths - like /opt/pkg/lib - and perhaps
there are better solutions... that is, unless they involve full-blown
recompilation of third-party programs and libraries ;)

HTH,
//Jim