[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: NBD on OmniOS

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 10:25:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:57:36 +0200
Johan Kragsterman <johan.kragsterman at capvert.se> wrote:

> Sorry, can't provide you with the info about NBD, but:
>
> I'd be interested in your setup. I use thin clients a lot, but so far
> only on Linux. I'd love to be able to use omnios as a base server for
> that!
>
> What chroot do you use? More than one? DHCP server setup? TFTP server
> setup?

Following other suggestions, I've set up iSCSI and now intend to
perform some performance tests to see if it's worth pursuing.

Mine is a very simple setup.

The root file system is one ZFS on the server.

The thin client has 2 GiB so I don't bother wth TFTP;  i just have a
small partition of the flash as a boot FS.

DHCP, again, no.  I only have one client so just assign a unique static
address.

The Linux kernel is Gentoo with an NFS3 client built in (obviously).

I'm not sure what's stopping your moving, if that's what you want to
do.  Exporting NFS from OmniOS is trivial, if you're familiar with ZFS,
and NFS-servers concepts.

If you want to set up DHCP and TFTP as well, I can't help you with that
(yet).  Sorry.

Michael.