[OmniOS-discuss] running X application over ssh can't find libraries

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Wed Aug 28 19:37:19 UTC 2013

On 13-08-28 10:22 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-08-28 17:48, Geoff Nordli wrote:

>> root at stor1:~# file /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox
>> /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox:     ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version
>> 1 [FPU], dynamically linked, not stripped
>

> Well, you're comparing fruits to flies here ;)
>
> # ls -la  /usr/bin/VirtualBox
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          28 Dec 10  2009
> /usr/bin/VirtualBox -> ../../opt/VirtualBox/VBox.sh
>
> The script selects your architecture:
> CURRENT_ISA=`isainfo -k`
> if test "$CURRENT_ISA" = "amd64"; then
>     INSTALL_DIR="/opt/VirtualBox/amd64"
> else
>     INSTALL_DIR="/opt/VirtualBox/i386"
> fi
> APP=`which $0`
> APP=`basename $APP`
> case "$APP" in
>
> And according to the error coming from the attempted dynamic link of
> dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/amd64/VirtualBox.so",) - this does run your
> amd64 binary.
>
> I might only guess that your LD_LIBRARY_PATH with /opt/pkg/lib is
> somehow overridden or ignored (not "export"ed?) by subsequent programs.
> Try hardcoding it into the VBox.sh script to see if it helps?
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/pkg/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Making some progress, can start the GUI, but it doesn't display the
proper characters.

The LD path needs to include VirtualBox as well:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/VirtualBox:/opt/pkg/lib

I went through the process to try to resolve all of the libraries which
are missing.

I installed the following:
pkgin install libXrender
pkgin install libXfixes
pkgin install png
pkgin install freetype2
pkgin install fontconfig

This is where things get kind of dicey, because there are library
mismatches.

so I created some links:

ln -s libX11.so libX11.so.4
ln -s libXt.so libXt.so.4
ln -s libXfixes.so libXfixes.so.1
ln -s libpng15.so libpng12.so.0

I am not sure if this is the show stopper, but it complains:

libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.35 but running with 1.5.12

The GUI displays a bunch of square characters, but it looks like the
functionality is there, since I can click on the links where they should
be.

http://picpaste.com/Selection_199-rtmxZ76O.png

Not a high priority, but would be fun to sort out.

Geoff