[OmniOS-discuss] IPMI on Dell R720

Andy omnios at citrus-it.net
Sun Jun 2 05:05:47 EDT 2013

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013, takashi ary wrote:

; Hello,
;
; I'm running OmniOS r151006 on Dell PowerEdge R720.
; I'm trying to setup IPMI from IPS but can not read sensor data.
;
;     pkg install /system/management/ipmitool
;     pkg install /driver/ipmi
;
.. snip ..

; root at omnios:~# ipmitool sensor
; Could not enable event receiver: Invalid argument
; Get Device ID command failed
; Unable to open SDR for reading

This is an incompatibility between the version of IPMI tool included
in OmniOS and the Dell BMC. I haven't looked into exactly what the
problem is but 1.8.11 works fine so I just downloaded and built my
own package around that.

host# /usr/sbin/ipmitool fru | grep Board\ Product
Could not enable event receiver: Invalid argument
Get Device ID command failed

host# /opt/ipmitool/bin/ipmitool fru | grep Board\ Product
 Board Product         : PowerEdge R210 II

; and I can not enable ipmievd.

That's a bug in the service manifest. The IPMI package on OmniOS uses
the open driver instead of the BMC which was used in Solaris 10. If you
build your own package you can fix it.

Maybe the OmniOS team would consider making IPMI tool 1.8.11 available
in the repository?

Andy

Citrus IT Limited | +44 (0)870 199 8000 | enquiries at citrus-it.co.uk
Rock House Farm | Green Moor | Wortley | Sheffield | S35 7DQ
Registered in England and Wales | Company number 4899123