[OmniOS-discuss] Boot failure

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Jun 12 15:04:47 EDT 2013

On 6/12/2013 7:05 AM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> You could try booting Firefly and figuring out what's wrong with the host:
>
> http://alexeremin.blogspot.com/2013/05/firefly-failsafe-image-for-illumos.html

Cool; I'll have to make a note of that, that could be useful in the future.

Have there been any thoughts on restoring the failsafe boot option in
grub that Solaris has and be able to do a recovery boot without needing
other media (and one that uses the same versions as you currently have
installed, rather than a third party ISO that might not match your
system)? Unfortunately I'm not that familiar with the methodology, but
it seems you'd just have to generate the equivalent of
/boot/x86.miniroot-safe for omnios? Would that be a distribution level
thing, or an upstream illumos thing?