[OmniOS-discuss] Building illumos-omnios

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Jun 17 15:58:25 EDT 2013

On 6/17/2013 12:47 PM, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Is it possible to work on illumos for upstream?  I figured it was
> impossible to build illumos on omnios (it used to be) because of
> dependencies in illumos gate that omnios has reasonably removed.  If
> that situation has changed, I'll be very happy indeed.

My understanding is that it is still impossible to build illumos-gate
under omnios.

However, the illumos-omnios fork is very close to illumos-gate, and Theo
says he actually does most of his illumos-gate upstream development
using illumos-omnios. I was going to give that a try, but it looks like
I would have to run the unstable development version of omnios in order
to compile the head of illumos-omnios, which I'd rather not do as I'd
prefer not to run into potential omnios issues while trying to do
illumos development.

I guess I'll probably end up spinning up another OI box, which is kind
of annoying and somewhat of a deterrent <sigh> 8-/.

I was saying it would kind of be nice if the pieces dropped in
illumos-omnios could also be dropped in illumos-gate, allowing
illumos-gate itself to be directly compiled with omnios. But I don't
think I want to pick up the torch to try to make that happen myself ;).