[OmniOS-discuss] trouble mirroring the zpool rpool

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:36:33 EDT 2013

hi,

I have installed omnios with a 32GiB usb stick as the rpool. I have two of
those sticks, so I would like to mirror them.

rmformat tells me this about the usb sticks:

# rmformat
Looking for devices...
     1. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c14t0d0p0
        Physical Node: /pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 12,2/storage at 3/disk at 0,0
        Connected Device:          Patriot Memory   PMAP
        Device Type: Removable
        Bus: USB
        Size: 30.2 GB
        Label: <None>
        Access permissions: Medium is not write protected.
     2. Logical Node: /dev/rdsk/c15t0d0p0
        Physical Node: /pci at 0,0/pci103c,1609 at 12,2/storage at 4/disk at 0,0
        Connected Device:          Patriot Memory   PMAP
        Device Type: Removable
        Bus: USB
        Size: 30.2 GB
        Label: <None>
        Access permissions: Medium is not write protected.

The sticks are exactly the same brand and model, so they should be exactly
equal.

In order to mirror the rpool I followed the instructions in
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2.1+Post-installation

This is rpool now:

# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

        NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool        ONLINE       0     0     0
          c14t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

But when I try the procedure in the openindiana wiki I get this:

# fdisk -B c15t0d0p0
# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c14t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c15t0d0s2
fmthard: Partition 2 specifies the full disk and is not equal
full size of disk.  The full disk capacity is 61705665 sectors.
fmthard: Partition 2 specified as 61737795 sectors starting at 0
        does not fit. The full disk contains 61705665 sectors.
fmthard:  New volume table of contents now in place.
# zpool attach rpool c14t0d0s0 c15t0d0s0
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
/dev/dsk/c15t0d0s0 overlaps with /dev/dsk/c15t0d0s2

So apparently the 2 sticks are not exactly the same. Now I got brave (haha)
and used the -f swith and it works:

# zpool attach -f rpool c14t0d0s0 c15t0d0s0
Make sure to wait until resilver is done before rebooting.

# zpool status
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices is currently being resilvered.  The pool will
        continue to function, possibly in a degraded state.
action: Wait for the resilver to complete.
  scan: resilver in progress since Mon May  6 20:33:17 2013
    53.2M scanned out of 7.13G at 1.06M/s, 1h53m to go
    51.0M resilvered, 0.73% done
config:

        NAME           STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool          ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            c14t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c15t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0  (resilvering)

errors: No known data errors

Is this expected behaviour?
--
Groeten,