[OmniOS-discuss] Omnios as a zfs storage server under esxi 5.1

C. L. Martinez carlopmart at gmail.com
Mon May 13 14:55:10 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Next month, we need to deploy an omnios virtual machine to act as storage
server under esxi 5.1. We can not use bare metal server, and I know that is
a problem.

We are thinking in disable zil. Is it recommended when omnios is installed
as a vm?? And we can not use pci passthrough esxi feature due to vmotion
and HA features enabled in these esxi servers.

Any recommendations about how to configure this vm?

At first stage we can allocate 8 gb of ram and 4 vcpus. And wr need to
manage 5 tb of data with snapshots and maybr compression in certain zfs
volumes.

Thanks