[OmniOS-discuss] Omnios as a zfs storage server under esxi 5.1

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Mon May 13 15:21:18 EDT 2013

First of all, a virtualized SAN is not a problem but a good idea on a
lot of use cases unless you can supply the same CPU, RAM and disk
recommendations like you would do on on real hardware. It is also not a
problem, that you cannot do vmotion with your SAN-VM (How would you
vmotion your physical disks??)

But you must provide:
- real hardware access to controller and disks (needs pass-through/vt-d)
for your SAN VM OmniOS
- assign enough RAM for caching (Arc-cache), the more the faster
- be not CPU limited

If you need a ZIL or better disable sync write depends on use case.
If you build an All-In-One (ESXi with virtualized SAN), all your guests
go down together with your SAN,
so mostly a ZIL costs money and performance but cannot improve security.

You should also trythe ESXI highspeed VMXnet3 network drivers (unless
you find problems with them like some others)
If you intend to use compression, use LZ4 (with newest OmnoOS stable
with bugfixes for LZ4)

Have you read my manuals (hope they are helpful)?
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/all-in-one.pdf and
http://napp-it.org/doc/ESXi-OmniOS_Installation_HOWTO_en.pdf

Gea