[OmniOS-discuss] Omnios as a zfs storage server under esxi 5.1

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Tue May 14 08:27:08 EDT 2013

> Many thanks Günther and Dan for your answers. But still I have some
> doubts:
>
> a) I can't assign real hardware access to this VM, but i can assign
> disks using RDM.
> b) How can I calculate how many Arc-cache do I need??
> c) Is it safe to use vmxnet3 nic driver for this production
> environment?? I prefer to use e1000 driver f the performance does not
> goes down.
>
> I have read your manuals Günther, and they are very clear to
> accomplish an OmniOS install and some performance tips. However, I am
> very concerned about the issue of calculating the Arc-cache and if it
> is safe (from a point of view of data integrity) to disable the ZIL in
> a virtualization environment.

Maybe I am wrong but if you have physical disks connected to host X and
map RDMs to a specific guest, that guest will not be vmotion-capable
either (how could it?  the resources are fixed to host X, no?)  Also, to
reiterate, unless the OS on the storage appliance crashes, most any crash
will be the entire host, in which case zil does not matter.  AFAIK,
vmxnet3 drive works, but you can use e1000, which is very reliable.