[OmniOS-discuss] X11 application support

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Fri May 17 13:10:18 EDT 2013

Greetings,

We often use X11 tunnelling over SSH connections in order to run various
X11 applications on remote servers.  An example might be to run a web
browser on such a server in order to access the management functions
of an appliance in the datacenter, or maybe a vendor-supplied Java GUI
app to manage a component, perhaps a RAID HBA.  Yes, we generally can
find a command-line tool for accomplishing most of these tasks, but
it's not always feasible.

I've been looking at OmniOS for a role in our datacenter environment, and
it looks to me like out of the box, OmniOS cannot host such applications.
I didn't find any X client shared libraries in the IPS repo, for example.

Before I head off to solve this problem on my own, I thought I'd ask:
Is anyone already using OmniOS to run X11 apps in this manner (displaying
to a remote X server), and if so, how do you accomplish it?

Thanks and regards,

Marion