[OmniOS-discuss] X11 application support

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri May 17 13:34:22 EDT 2013

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

> A few things that might help you our
> 1) this is not in core by design.
> 2) using a browser remotely sounds painful... try ssh options to either forward a port (-L) or act as a SOCKS proxy (-D) both
> *super* useful.
> 3) this does not solve your "I can only manage an HBA with a Java GUI issue"... you should burn that vendor's offices down*.

I have some mission-critical software here from Sun which uses an
"Install Shield" type installer on Solaris.  I am not sure if the
installer is x86/SPARC binaries, or based on Java.  Once installed,
the software runs headless on a server.

There is other software (useful on servers) where use of X11 is
optional at run-time yet the binaries will fail to run if the X11
libraries are missing.  If the X11 libraries are missing, then it is
necessary to create a special build of the software and
commonly-available pre-compiled binaries won't work.

Basic X11 client libraries and support files (all highly-portable
stuff) seems like a basic requirement.  This is quite different than
an X11 server, which has substantial hardware dependencies.

> 4) There are people using Joyent's pkgsrc work to build X libs.

That sounds helpful.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn