[OmniOS-discuss] Pool degraded

Alexander Lesle groups at tierarzt-mueller.de
Tue Apr 8 19:09:28 UTC 2014

Hello Kevin Swab and List,

On April, 08 2014, 20:17 <Kevin Swab> wrote in [1]:

> Instead of a 'zpool remove ...', you want to do a 'zpool detach ...' to
> get rid of the old device.

thats it.
zpool detach ... "removes" the broken device from the pool.

> If you turn the 'autoreplace' property on
> for the pool, the spare will automatically kick in the next time a drive
> fails...

Are you sure? Because the man zpool tell me other:

,-----[ man zpool ]-----

| autoreplace=on | off
|
|          Controls automatic device replacement. If set to  "off",
|          device  replacement must be initiated by the administra-
|          tor by using the "zpool  replace"  command.  If  set  to
|          "on",  any  new device, found in the same physical loca-
|          tion as a device that previously belonged to  the  pool,
|          is  automatically  formatted  and  replaced. The default
|          behavior is "off". This property can also be referred to
|          by its shortened column name, "replace".

`-------------------

I understand it that when I pull out a device and put a new device in
the _same_ Case-Slot ZFS make a resilver and ZFS pull out the old one
automatically.
When the property if off I have use the command zpool replace ... ...
what I have done.

But in my case, the spare device was in the Case and _named for_ this
pool
So the 'Hot Spares-Section' tells
,-----[ man zpool ]-----

| ZFS allows devices to  be  associated  with  pools  as  "hot
| spares".  These  devices  are not actively used in the pool,
| but  when  an  active  device  fails,  it  is  automatically
| replaced  by  a hot spare.

Or I have misunderstood.

--
Best Regards