[OmniOS-discuss] Granular control of fma modules

Jason Cox cscoman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 17:37:17 UTC 2014

So I am running into this for a server I built for production. I unloaded
the module, but I am guessing that this means I will not be able to tell
when a drive is failed now outside of the normal way you can tell when a
drive is having issues. Thinking long term here, what other options do I
have? Just look at running smartmontool to monitor the drive I guess?

Also is Seagate going to provide a way to update the firmware once it is
available or do we have to try and RMA the drives or just swap them as they
fail...  I love how the spec says they are good from 5-60c, but the
firmware says 40c as the threshold temp.

Thanks

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:50 PM, Richard Elling <
richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Anh Quach <anhquach at me.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to tell the disk-transport FMA module to ignore
> over-temperature on only a certain set of disks?
>
> In Solaris 11, yes this is possible. However, the open source community
> has not implemented it
> yet, AFAIK.
>

> > I’m doing testing with some Seagate Constellation.3’s that seem to run
> hotter even at idle than the rest of my disks (39-44 C) and they are
> continually getting flagged for over temp. I know I can disable to the temp
> alert for that module but I don’t want to disable it for all disks, just
> these new Seagates.
>
> You can unload disk-transport altogether as a workaround. The root cause
> is a bug in
> the Seagate firmware introduced in version 3 of their firmware. A fix is
> in the works
> for version 4, available RSN.
>  — richard
>
> --