[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS KVM on AMD Processor

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Aug 23 16:56:02 UTC 2014

>Thanks Josef, I could not find/hear any positive / negative feedback on
>Internet about KVM AMD support on Illumos based OSes (OmniOS, SmartOS,
>etc)
>neither.
>
>So this is what I was afraid of. Now I will switch back to backup plan
>ZOL
>on Ubuntu / Debian :(
>

>On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Josef 'Jeff' Sipek
><jeffpc at josefsipek.net>
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 04:02:26PM +0200, Suleyman Nazif Kutlu wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am brand new to OmniOS. Reading some documentation on Internet I
>found
>> > out that on Illumos based OSes KVM is only supported on Intel
>processors.
>> > Is this true for OmniOS as well?
>> >
>> > I am planning to use OmniOS on an AMD processor server with
>ZFS+KVM+Zones
>> > as a virtualization host for some personal Web Servers, databases,
>> > Fileserver, Multimedia Streaming, etc..
>> >
>> > I started with Ubuntu+KVM several years ago, then migrated to ESXi
>5.x...
>> > Now I want to use ZFS as well. This is main reason for me to start
>> thinking
>> > about Illumos based OSes.
>> >
>> > Although ZOL is available on Ubuntu, I believe, as many others on
>> Internet,
>> > ZFS on Illumos based OSes are more mature then ZOL.
>> >
>> > If this works on AMD processor, I will start migrations as soon as
>> > possible...
>>
>> Unless OmniTI managed to get that working (I haven't heard about
>anything
>> like that), the answer is still "no, only Intel is supported".  There
>have
>> been attempts at getting AMD support going, but I think everyone
>involved
>> gave up.
>>
>> Jeff.
>>
>> --
>> Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them
>>                 - Albert Einstein

Another backup plan worth consideration might be to use another hypervisor over a true illumos core, i.e. VirtualBox?
At the very least, you would also have flexible networking, benefits of ZFS and SMF integration (see http://vboxsvc.sf.net for my shameless plug), as well as ability to group VMs into local zones to run and resource-control whole independent labs, demo clusters in different datacenters, etc.

Reports vary as to whether KVM is better (might be, being a kernel service), but certaintly VBox has its good place in the ecosystem.

HTH, Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android