[OmniOS-discuss] PCIe dedicated device for ZIL

Rune Tipsmark rt at steait.net
Fri Dec 5 19:56:11 UTC 2014

its a good idea, I use Fusion IO SLC drives but I still see a limit of about 750 MB/sec which is too little, also I need to run multiple streams to achieve this, if I only use a single data stream I only get around 350 MB/sec. I makes no difference if I use 1 or 4 SLC drives, speed remains pretty much the same +/-  5%.

After testing some mSata drives in one of Intels NUCs it became interesting to investigate if it would be possible to get a motherboard with say 10 or 20 mSata slots, I even asked SuperMicros engineers and they said no coz its not an enterprise product.

However there are some PCIe cards available where you can attach mSata drives and even raid them and while I havent tried this yet, I think it could deliver some nice cheap SLOG perforformance

check http://www.addonics.com/products/ad4mspx2.php

Maybe there are better products out there, this was just what I came across initially.

Maybe even completely skip a dedicated log device and set the pool to sync=always and base it on for example 8 of the above PCIe cards each with 4 1TB drives and you could have 32TB raw SSD ultrafast storage in a 3unit and with compression and possibly dedup you could easily store a lot of data on even when mirroring.

This is probably my next project anyway so interested to see what you find out in terms of upping the speed and lowering the latency.

br,

Rune