[OmniOS-discuss] the right card for a server

Entfernt mounty at landcroft.com
Thu Jan 9 20:23:13 UTC 2014

This question covers OmniOS and the usual Supermicro hardware base.  I want to add a four-port gigabit ethernet card to a 5017C-LF:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/5017/sys-5017c-lf.cfm

So that's PCI Express x8.

Most cards for the machine are two-port but this one:

http://www.iphase.com/products/product.cfm/PCI%20Express/399

appears to fit the bill.  In particular, it has the Broadcom® BCM5704C chipset which appears on the HCL:

https://www.illumos.org/hcl/

but I'm a programmer rather than a sysadmin or hardware person.  Can anyone see any obvious reason for the card not working ?  Thanks in expectation.

--
Michael Mounteney