[OmniOS-discuss] the right card for a server

Alexander Lesle groups at tierarzt-mueller.de
Fri Jan 10 11:18:09 UTC 2014

Morning Michael and List,

am Freitag, 10. Januar 2014 um 00:48 hat <Michael Mounteney> u.a.
in mid:30e9da749bc0b63d2beb1803d85abac7.squirrel at landcroft.co.uk geschrieben:
>> you need a Riser-Card (RSC-RR1U-E8) too.

About riser-card you got a answer from Matthew Frazer.

>> Take a look at Supermicro add-on Cards:
>> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/index.cfm
>>
>> There you can find a 4 Port Intel Nic
>> http://www.supermicro.nl/products/accessories/addon/AOC-UG-i4.cfm

> I appreciate that you are trying to help, Alexandre, but there are two
> points that I find puzzling in your advice.

> Firstly that I've never seen any other reference to needing a riser for a
> PCI card.  SAS, yes;   PCI, no.

> Secondly, Supermicro's own compatibility matrix for the product, at
> http://www.supermicro.nl/support/resources/AOC/UIO_AOC_Compatibility.cfm
> excludes the NIC you mention from my hardware;  it is a full-height card
> and the 5017C-LF only accommodates low-profile.

Thats about the slot-plate nothing else.
UIO is it on the other side. Its not a problem to chance it to
standard and the SM add-on cards are quite cheap.

Look at the 4-port interphase nic
the specs tells also:
Form Factor: PCI express, standard height, half length
and standard height is full height

I have found this Intel nic in low profile, but maybe EOL
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/pro-1000-pt-qp.html

--
Mit freundlichem Gruss
Alexander