[OmniOS-discuss] zoneadm -z zone attach -u fails

sergey ivanov sergey57 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 12:42:42 UTC 2014

I still have a problem with upgrading to 151008 my first testing host,
running some non-global zones. I think the cause of my problems is absence
of packages built for 151008 in omniti-ms repository.

Global zone upgraded per instructions without problems. When I tried
attaching with '-u' non-global zones, it failed.
Running 'pkg -R <zonepath>/root -u' for these zones from global zones
revealed that they have lost all publishers.
Readding publishers with 'pkg -R <zonepath>/root pkg set-publisher -g <url>
<publisher>'  and then running
'pkg -R <zonepath>/root update' worked for some of the zones. But some
completed update very fast, without much of work done:
---

# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ update
            Packages to update:  7
       Create boot environment: No
Create backup boot environment: No

DOWNLOAD                                  PKGS       FILES    XFER (MB)
Completed                                  7/7     151/151      6.1/6.1

PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Install Phase                                    5/5
Update Phase                                 163/163

PHASE                                          ITEMS
Package State Update Phase                     14/14
Package Cache Update Phase                       7/7
Image State Update Phase                         2/2

NOTE: Please review release notes posted at:
http://omnios.omniti.com/ReleaseNotes

---
I looked at the list of packages installed there by 'pkg -R ... list' and
saw not any package from 151008 release!
I tried running 'pkg -R ... update' second time, I got:
---

# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ update
Creating Plan |
pkg update: No solution was found to satisfy constraints
Plan Creation: Package solver has not found a solution to update to
latest available versions.
This may indicate an overly constrained set of packages are installed.

latest incorporations:

  pkg://omnios/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T022427Z
  pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/omnios-userland@11,5.11-0.151008:20131206T160517Z
  pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151008:20131205T195242Z
  pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T024149Z
Dependency analysis is unable to determine exact cause.
Try specifying expected results to obtain more detailed error messages.

---

Then I was trying to update these packgages one by one in -R
<zonepath>/root, and I think I saw the cause of my problem:

---

# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ install
pkg://omnios/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T022427Z
Creating Plan /
pkg install: No matching version of
consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation can be installed:
  Reject:  pkg://omnios/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T022427Z
  Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation
pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151006:20130506T183443Z

# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ install
pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151006:20130506T183443Z
No updates necessary for this image.
# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ install
pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151008
Creating Plan /
pkg install: No matching version of incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate
can be installed:
  Reject:  pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T024149Z
  Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation
pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151006:20131210T224515Z

# pkg -R <zonepath>/root/ install pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151008
Creating Plan /
pkg install: No matching version of entire can be installed:
  Reject:  pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151008:20131204T230829Z
           pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151008:20131205T191306Z
           pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151008:20131205T195242Z
  Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation
pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-930@9.3.0,5.11-0.151006:20130918T174100Z
           This version is excluded by installed incorporation
pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/library/uuid@1.41.14,5.11-0.151006:20131015T044739Z

---

So, I think I have to wait until omniti-ms will have packages for new
stable release, or to build these packages myself.

--

  Regards,

  Sergey Ivanov.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>wrote:

> hi,
>
> to follow up in this issue, today I read in another post that updating
> pkg and ipkg should solve this, so I booted in
> r151008, updated pkg and ipkg in that BE and retried the zone attach
> command:
>
> # /usr/sbin/zoneadm -z zone1 attach -u
> Log File: /var/tmp/zone1.attach_log.qDaiXc
>                Attach Path: /tank/zones/zone1/root
>         Attach ZFS Dataset: tank/zones/zone1/ROOT/zbe-1
>
>                 Installing: Using pre-existing data in zonepath
>        Global zone version: entire at 11,5.11-0.151008:20131205T195242Z
>    Non-Global zone version: entire at 11,5.11-0.151006:20130507T204959Z
>                      Cache: Using /var/pkg/publisher.
>   Updating non-global zone: Output follows
> Creating Plan
> ERROR: Could not update attaching zone
>                     Result: Attach Failed.
>
> in the log file I see this:
>
> pkg set-publisher: Publisher 'omnios' is disabled and cannot be used
> for packaging operations.
>
> pkg install: The following pattern(s) did not match any allowable
> packages.  Try
> using a different matching pattern, or refreshing publisher information:
>
>         entire at 11,5.11-0.151008:20131205T195242Z
> [January 10, 2014 12:37:28 PM CET] ERROR: Could not update attaching zone
> [January 10, 2014 12:37:29 PM CET]                     Result: Attach
> Failed.
>
> Any clues as to why this is failing? This is just a test zone, so it
> is not a big deal to wipe it and go on with my life, but I am just
> curious as to why it is failing.
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Groeten,