[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS random freezes

Niels Goossens ngoossens at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 22:37:47 UTC 2014

In order to rule out OmniOS as the cause of the random hangs, I created a
clean Debian install on a new SATA drive, removed the OmniOs boot drive and
booted from Debian. After import on the zpool (native ZFS on Linux
installed) I ran some tests, basically moving a few large KVM raw images
around. This resulted in a hang as well, which I could later reproduce.
Again, there is no sign of anything related to this hang in the Debian log
files. For some strange reason, using dd to dump the contents of a zvol
disk0 to a local file on the same zpool does not hang the machine, but
copying that file to an NFS share does. This might be coincidence though,
because on OmniOS I could get the system to hang with only a scrub (no
network involved).

This is starting to look like a hardware issue. I will now exchange the
memory in this machine and see if that resolves the issue. After that, I
guess I will have to setup BTRFS or something similar to start ruling out
the drives...

Niels