[OmniOS-discuss] Illumos and Infiniband

Chris Zembower zembower at criterion.com
Wed Jan 29 18:38:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm trying to dig up some information on Illumos (or Solaris) compatibility
with the Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI HCA. From what I can gather, the Hermon
driver (for 1st-gen ConnectX) may work with this hardware with tweaking,
but I can't seem to confirm that.

OmniOS is my server OS of choice (I have several systems running), but the
necessity of a working IB fabric here has led me to implement a ZFS on
Linux box for this particular purpose. I'm currently using LIO/targetcli to
export block SRP targets, and I'm not happy with it at all. Really wishing
I had Comstar for this.

Anyone here using IB with OmniOS? Anyone aware of a roadmap or active
development of new IB drivers? Why isn't there an Illumos OFED port
happening? No interest? It's thriving on the Linux side of the world...

Please don't lecture me on the merits of 10GbE/FC over Infiniband, I've
heard it all. :-)

Any insights or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Best,
Chris