[OmniOS-discuss] Illumos and Infiniband

Chris Zembower zembower at criterion.com
Wed Jan 29 20:51:47 UTC 2014

Well, this is all very encouraging! I guess there is interest and actual
usage out there.

Unfortunately, I need FDR-ish speeds (at least 4GB/s), the entire network
is setup for FDR, and I only have ConnectX-3 adapters, so it's Linux for me
until some new developments emerge.

Dan, I can somewhat vouch for the stability of ZFS on Debian and CentOS
using the ZoL kernel implementation. My Debian system (the one using IB) is
at 65 days uptime with a 24/7 heavy load, managing 100TB+ of datasets in a
quasi-production (replicated) environment. First disk replacement went
smoothly last week. Time will tell... The CentOS install has been up for
close to a year. However, in terms of raw disk access speeds, neither of
these systems performs anywhere near as well as OmniOS or OI.

Thanks, all. I look forward to joining the conversation here in general.