[OmniOS-discuss] question on pkg info behavior

Nathan Huff nrhuff at umn.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:59:43 UTC 2014

I am currently setting up a server using 151006 LTS and I am seeing
something unexpected from the 'pkg info command' and I am not sure if it
is a bug or just that I don't understand how it is supposed to work.

If I run 'pkg info gnu-patch' I get

           Name: text/gnu-patch
          State: Installed
      Publisher: omnios
        Version: 2.7
  Build Release: 5.11
         Branch: 0.151006
Packaging Date: Mon May  6 19:55:18 2013
           Size: 239.38 kB
           FMRI:
pkg://omnios/text/gnu-patch@2.7,5.11-0.151006:20130506T195518Z

Which is what I expect, but if I run 'pkg info -r gnu-patch' I get

           Name: text/gnu-patch
          State: Not installed
      Publisher: omnios
        Version: 2.7
  Build Release: 5.11
         Branch: 0.151008
Packaging Date: Wed Dec  4 02:52:08 2013
           Size: 240.62 kB
           FMRI:
pkg://omnios/text/gnu-patch@2.7,5.11-0.151008:20131204T025208Z

And if I run 'pkg install gnu-patch'
It tells me there are no updates for the image.

It looks like 'pkg info -r' Isn't restricting itself to the system's
branch, but 'pkg install' is.  It seems like the correct behavior would
be to have pkg info restrict itself to the branch as well.

--
Nathan Huff
System Administrator