[OmniOS-discuss] Ang: Shopping for an all-in-one server

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Mon Jun 2 10:47:06 UTC 2014

Hi, Jim!

-----"OmniOS-discuss" <omnios-discuss-bounces at lists.omniti.com> skrev: -----
Till: OI-Discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>, OmniOS-discuss <omnios-discuss at lists.omniti.com>, zfs-discuss at lists.illumos.org
Från: Jim Klimov
Sänt av: "OmniOS-discuss"
Datum: 2014-06-02 10:11
Ärende: [OmniOS-discuss] Shopping for an all-in-one server

"Hello friends, and sorry for cross-posting to different audiences like this,

I am helping to spec out a new server for a software development department"

So many things to say about this...

First, when I get the same question or job(which I get frequently): I want to know what the company got in total. Their whole datacenter infrastructure.
 Why? Because there are many possibilitites to combine services here.

I doubt this is the only server/infrastrucure that is in place?

Second: Do they have a strategy for how to develope their services/infrastructure? Doubt that, since they asked you...?

So, that would be the first thing to get in place: A strategy for the developement of their services/infrastructure.

How do they(or you) see the future? The expansion? Would they/you like/need to have an easy path to expansion and adding of new services?

And many, many more questions....

Rgrds Johan

So... any hints and suggestions are most welcome! ;)
Thanks in advance,
//Jim Klimov
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android