[OmniOS-discuss] Shopping for an all-in-one server

Chris Ferebee cf at ferebee.net
Mon Jun 2 15:46:27 UTC 2014

Dan,

I wouldn’t think you would want to migrate an Illumos storage appliance using ESXi/vSphere, no.

AFAIK, the things you can’t do in an ESXi VM with PCI passthrough (a. k. a. VMDirectPath) enabled are the following:

- migration (a. k. a. vMotion)
- memory overcommit
- snapshots
- suspend and resume
- record and replay
- fault tolerance
- virtual device hot add/remove

None of these seem especially relevant to an Illumos storage server.

OTOH, the only reason to use ESXi in the first place would be if you want to virtualize something that doesn’t fit well onto Illumos KVM. It seems preferable to run separate machines in that case, one Illumos storage server and one ESXi application server. I don’t know what Jim has in mind for ESXi - just passing along my experience.

A possible advantage of ESXi could be memory overcommit, depending on the use case.

Best,
Chris