[OmniOS-discuss] Shopping for an all-in-one server

Guenther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Wed Jun 4 14:24:11 UTC 2014

Am 02.06.2014 09:38, schrieb Jim Klimov:
> Hello friends, and sorry for cross-posting to different audiences like this,
>
> ..
>
> The box should be a reliable rackable server with remote management, substantial ECC RAM for efficient ZFS and VM needs (128-256gb likely, possibly more), CPUs with all those VT-* bits needed for illumos-kvm and a massive amount of cores (some large-scale OS rebuilds from source are likely a frequent task), and enough disk bays for rpool (hdd or ssd), ssd-based zil and l2arc devices (that's already half a dozen bays), possibly an ssd-based scratch area (raid0 or raid1, this depends), as well as several TB of HDD storage. Later expansions should be possible with JBODs.
>
> ..
>
> PS: how do you go about backing up such a thing? Would some N54L's suffice to receive zfs-send's of select datasets? :)

I have build and use many AIO systems with ESXi and a virtualized OmniOS
SAN for NFS/SMB/iSCSI.
(Use NFS for shared storage on ESXi).

 From my view, use SuperMicro Socket 2011 mainboards, LSI HBA likes a
9207 and Intel nics.
The Series -F mainboards come with IPMI

 From a cost view, I prefer the X9SRH-7TF as it comes with a LSI HBA and
10 Gbe
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9SRH-7TF.cfm

Add a case without expander like (buy some more HBAs like LSI 9207 or
IBM 1015)
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/chassis/2U/216/SC216A-R900LP.cfm

Use SSD only pools then for VMs (use enterprise SSDs like Intel 3700 or
overprovision cheaper ones manually)
The Intel 3700 is also a perfect ZIL for slower disks in a pool.

The N54 is ok for backups

some of my howto`s
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/napp-in-one.pdf
http://www.napp-it.org/doc/manuals/flash_x9srh-7tf_it.pdf